Your Cart is Empty

April 19, 2024 3 min read

Gold has long been cherished for its beauty, rarity, and timeless appeal. Yet, when it comes to selecting the perfect piece of gold jewelry, the choice between 14k and 18k can often leave clients puzzled. In this blog post, we will unravel the mysteries of these two popular gold alloys, exploring their differences in composition, durability, and appearance. By understanding the distinctions between 14k and 18k gold, you’ll be equipped to make an informed decision that suits your style and preferences. 

Gold purity refers to the percentage of pure gold contained in a gold alloy. Pure gold, also known as 24 karat gold, is considered 99.99% pure and is too soft and malleable for most jewelry applications. Therefore, gold is often mixed or alloyed with other metals to increase its hardness, durability, and resistance to wear. Gold purity is measured in karats (not to be confused with “carats,” which is a unit of weight used for gemstones). Each karat represents 1/24th of the whole. For example, 14k gold contains 58.3% pure gold, with the remaining 41.7% made up of alloy metals like copper, silver, or zinc. 18k gold, on the other hand, contains 75% pure gold, with the remaining 25% composed of alloy metals. The specific composition of the alloy can affect the color, hardness, and other properties of the gold. 

Due to its higher percentage of alloy metals, 14k gold is generally slightly more durable and resistant to scratching and bending compared to 18k gold. The additional alloy metals in 14k gold will result in a slightly different color compared to 18k gold. 14k gold tends to have a slightly lighter or “cooler” or paler hue, while 18k gold has a richer color; the lower proportion of alloy metals results in a more saturated and vibrant hue, often described as a “deeper” or “warmer” gold color. Some think that for daily wear, 14k may be the better choice, but in fact, the Tiffany & Co. & Cartier “standard” for gold is 18k gold, making it a suitable choice for jewelry that can in fact be worn everyday, too. Because 18k has a lower proportion of alloy metals, it may be a little less durable and resistant to scratching and bending compared to 14k gold. Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on personal preference and desired aesthetics. 

Some individuals may have sensitivities to certain alloy metals commonly used in gold alloys. Since 14k gold contains a higher percentage of non-gold metals, it may be more likely to cause allergic reactions compared to 18k gold. However, both 14k white gold and 18k white gold can be alloyed with hypoallergenic metals like palladium or nickel-free alloys to minimize the risk of allergic reactions. If yourfiancé-to-be has a nickel allergy, 18k gold would be a better choice, as it's less likely to trigger an adverse reaction. Though not a yellow precious metal, platinum being naturally white and bright, is actually hypoallergenic. To read our blog post about platinum, feel free to clickhere.

In essence, the disparity between 14k and 18k gold extends far beyond their karat values. It encompasses a delicate interplay of color and durability, each contributing to the unique character and allure of these precious metals. Whether you gravitate towards the enduring charm of a slightly cooler tone of 14k yellow gold, or the unparalleled elegance and class of a warmer tone of 18k yellow gold, both variants embody the timeless beauty and splendor that define the art of jewelry craftsmanship. In the end, the choice between 14k and 18k gold lies in personal preferences, style preferences, and the significance of the piece, ensuring that each wearer finds their perfect expression of luxury and refinement. 



Soha Diamond Co. is a jewelry store located in Madison, Wisconsin:


View custom Soha engagement ring styles on Instagram:


Browse Soha Diamond Co. engagement ring inspirations:


Learn about Soha’s engagement ring design process:


Book your custom engagement ring visit with Soha: